12.10.2007

Ding Dong ...

So ... Saturday was indeed a Bing-would-sing-about-this kind of day. I needed to finish my shopping for the Dub's and for my sis, as those are both packages that I want to mail today. I actually went to a ... mall ... and after searching for a parking space for 20 minutes, I ventured inside and just felt warm and cozy as I stood in line with many what-appeared-to-be-crazy people. I hurried home to do some wrapping, something that I have loved since my sister and I were the official family wrappers for most of my childhood ... all of which involved a lot of curling ribbon.

But first ... I stopped to get the mail.

There was a padded envelope in there from my daughter, Mrs. Dub. Inside that envelope were two CDs -- one for me and PDaddy and the other for Sonny-boy and the Mrs. I took one look at it and gasped. Then I put it in the CD player and teared up just a little. Then I wrapped presents and giggled.

You see, when the kids were little, their most lasting memory of Christmas music was from a free tape I got with some Avon products. It included Dolly Parton singing Winter Wonderland, John Denver and the Muppets doing The Twelve Days of Christmas and a song by Bing himself called Round and Round the Christmas Tree. We played that tape until it was pretty much shredded. Over the years, we had all talked about trying to find it again, but we never did. Until this year when our lovely girl hunted it down on Ebay and made copies for us all.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
One last note on traditions. You might want to take a peek at Ms. Vespa's blog to read about one of her favorites. She is indeed a gifted story teller. Please know that no family members (uh ... that would be me) were harmed in the making of this tradition. In fact, I have come to look forward to that precious "alone-time" after the hustle and bustle of the Holidays.
One last question: Does anyone else have memories of Avon Christmas?
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont have any affilliation with the Avon CD or company (however, years at girls camp taught me that the in charge ladies love Skin So Soft) but I do enjoy Ms. V's tradition and I must say that I LOVE doing things like that to my mommie dearest! However ,I dont think SHE would like it as much.

hilari said...

like brooke said, we love a good "freaking mom out" session. of course we mean no intentional harm... i do have memories of dubby talking about avon christmas and the skin so soft fanactics really freaked me out.

Kelley Bochman Smith said...

?????????

P Daddy said...

Just got to say that Mrs. Dub is one thoughtful person, even if I'm not quite as big on the Christmas music as someone else we know. That CD is likely to go down as the gift of the year and what a great surprise and memory.

Mrs. Dub said...

i am pretty awesome, aren't i?

Alicia said...

My family also bought that AVON tape many years ago and for years I have been trying to recreate it. Could you list the other names of the songs on it? Merry Christmas!