1.29.2009

I have Issues ...


So ... I am not the first blogger to moan about the fact that Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion has bitten the dust. I have loved this magazine from the beginning and have really grown to love Mary herself. I was first introduced to Mary in October of 1987. While innocently purchasing groceries at my local Safeway, I happened upon this magazine (below) which temporarily put a spell on me and forced me to buy it.

I believe that this was the second issue of Victoria magazine. It's the only 20+ year old magazine still in my possession. And that's all because of Mary.

While thumbing through it, I came upon what I could only describe at the time as the most charming house I had ever laid eyes upon. I was absolutely captivated and went on to learn as much about ME as I could. I will say in all honesty that I never painted checks or cherries in my kitchen, nor did I stick a bunch of bowls on a chair, but I have quilted cherries and I eat cereal every single morning ... from a bowl ... on a chair.

I have watched with interest as she moved ... and moved ... and moved ... again. But I never loved a single one of her houses as much as I loved this one.

So good-bye my magazine friend. In fact good-bye to several of my magazine friends. What the heck is the deal?

Does anyone else have memories of this home of hers? Is anyone else bummed with this stupid-head economic turn? Do you have pictures of checks in your kitchen to soothe my aching heart?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sherri said...

I'm definitely feeling your pain...got the card in the mail yesterday telling me that the rest of my subscription would be filled with issues of Martha Stewart Living (which I already subscribe too, but I guess they are extending my subscription)...but I want Mary's magazine!!!

cnydalynn said...

I feel all of your pain. I love this magazine. I don't understand how a great magazine like this can just not publish anymore. I mean come on... can't Martha Stewart make it one of her many ventures. This magazine doesn't need to die. This is one of the times that if I had a lot of money (as in winning the lottery - ha ha) I would invest in something like this. I mean I feel like I lost something very near to my heart... a friend that I stole quiet time to look at.

Kelley Bochman Smith said...

you know I LOVE her checks! boo-hoo....