8.18.2008

The Story, the whole Story and nothing but ...


So ... after 4 1/2 months of beating around a very large, prickly bush, the time has come to fill in the details. You know ... the PDaddy details ... the why-the-heck-are-we-going-to-Seattle-for-a-month details. The details that some of you are mighty familiar with and others ... not so much.

Let me just say that I have not previously told this story because I didn't feel it was my story to tell. Over time I have seen PDaddy (the DH, fyi) himself spill some parts of the story, so at this point ... with 4 days to go before we leave ... here goes:

In March we went to the doctor because he was feeling really dizzy. They saw his blood count was low and assumed a bleeding ulcer. Three days later we found out they were right ... except that the ulcer was sitting on a tumor which was sitting on his esophagus.

Bummer.

No problem. PDaddy took matters into his own hands. We found out that this would involve a major surgery that would remove most of his esophagus, and make a new one out of the top of his stomach. We were told it would be wise to have a surgeon that does this surgery a lot. Really a LOT.

Enter Dr. Low in Seattle. Our new home-away-from-home.

Did I mention that he has already had 9 weeks of chemotherapy (which worked really well ... woohoo) and blood clots in his lungs (that put us back in the hospital in June ... not even a woo.) Our biggest concern at that point was that the surgery would be postponed. Ooh, only by a month! Woohoo and Yippee. The surgery will be on Tuesday, August 26th. We welcome your prayers. We know we have them already. We thank you.

So ... the good news? From the very beginning there has been more good than bad. He was diagnosed relatively early. He found the right doctors. (Our family doctor has been more than amazing.) The blood clots were diagnosed in time.

The best news? Well first of all, friends and family who have given support and love ... and an amazing amount of chocolate. We thank those who will (live in) and care for our home while we are gone.

The best-est news? Why PDaddy himself, of course. He is wonderful. He has made me laugh every single day. He literally has knowledge on his disease that equals his doctors. He has an amazing faith that touches everyone. He never, ever wants anyone to feel sorry for him. So we don't.

We just laugh.

And we pray.

And we thank you in advance for joining us.
Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

stephanie said...

we will be praying extra hard for our dear mr. ess next week, and for his surgeons as well. you have all handled this so beautifully. i love your family.

Mrs. Dub said...

i lived this story, but it was nice to have the cliff notes.

pdaddy is amazing. we do have faith. and we do have incredible friends.

but, boy, i'm going to be on my knees on tuesday.

love you both!

Leslie said...

would it be weird if i told you that i've wanted to hear this story for a while, but was too afraid to ask you to tell it? it's only been out of concern and love for your family that i've been curious. but be assured that your family has been in my family's prayers since we first heard of pdaddy's situation. my parents express concern often, as well. we love all of you and wish the very best outcome to come to fruition. bless those doctors, and love to all of you. :)

steph said...

i love pdaddy!!! yay for him!

Tara said...

Mary

How my thoughts are with you at this time! I have just posted about my Dad's lung cancer...we'll get through this tough time together, I'm here for you!

Angy said...

thanks for the cliffs notes :) i didn't wanna be too nosey either but i've been thinking about you guys since i heard the news! lots of prayers and good thought will definitely be made come tuesday! good luck pdaddy! <3

hilari said...

all good vibes and prayers will be sent pdaddy's way. we love you.

Kelley Bochman Smith said...

We love you both. XOXO

Anonymous said...

love you!!!!!!!!
-devan

Kelli and Craig said...

I love you guys!!! All my prayers and love for you!1

Amy G. said...

Asher feels so honored to represent PDaddy's Superman strength, faith, and perserverance these past 5 1/2 months. We love you both and can't wait to get good news from Seattle in the upcoming weeks.

P Daddy said...

Thank you all. As long as Asher doesn't dig up any Kryptonite we should be okay. But since I will be on formula and a feeding tube most of the time in Seattle, Mary will have to handle disposition of the good will chocolate. I have supreme confidence in her ability to do so (and everything else, too).

ginny said...

Asher?! I thought that was a picture of PDaddy before chemo.

Anonymous said...

hello, thanks for sharing. I was just surfing on technorati an found you. I will definitely keep you in my prayers! keep the faith!

Anonymous said...

Hello, from Tasmania. Your story touches me and I will be thinking of your family on Tuesday. My dad had this same surgery last year for a tumour in his oesophagus.He was 74 and by the sound of it in much poorer condition at the time of surgery than your guy so you have good reason to be optimistic about the outcome.I'm glad you have good support and lots of chocolate.

Mary said...

Dear Maryanne,
Your comments (along with everyone elses) touched both me and my husband. It just doesn't hurt to have some support from around the world. Thanks so much.

Mary

Unknown said...

I heard from my sister that you were going to Seattle for an operation on your esophagus. I fasted for you yesterday.

Hope that your recovery is speedy.